In this section, we will learn how to use capital letters properly.
13 Uses of Capital Letters With Examples in English:
There are two parts to the English alphabet. One is a capital letter and the other is a small letter. Capital letters are used as needed when writing English. Now we shall learn when capital letters are used.
1. Capital letters are used at the beginning of the first letter to write a sentence.
a. The boys are eating rice.
b. They go to school together.
c. We live in a village.
2. Capital letters are used at the beginning of all proper nouns and proper adjectives.
a. India is a big country.
b. Kazi Nazrul Islam was a famous poet.
c. He lives in Maharashtra.
d. My name is Gopal Sharma.
3. The first letter of the name of God and the pronoun is used for God also begin with a capital letter.
a. Pray to God, only he can save us.
b. God is good. We always worship him.
4. Capital letters are used to write the first person of the pronoun i.e. personal pronoun ‘I’.
a. He loves me but I do not like him.
b. You and I go there.
c. What can I do for you?
5. To commence/write the first word of a reported speech.
a. They said, ”We will go to play”.
b. He said, ”I know the girl”.
6. Capital letters are used to write interjections ‘O’, ‘Oh’.
a. Oh God ! help me from danger.
7. The name of school subjects, only when the subjects are languages.
Hindi, English, Bengali
( But mathematics, biology, history, chemistry, physics )
8. Capital letters are used for abbreviations.
S.D.O., B.D.O., M.A., B.A., B.Sc., U.K., U.S.A.
9. We use a capital letter for the name of days, months, and religious festivals.
Days: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Saturday
Months: January, February, March, April
Festivals: Durga Puja, Diwali, Christmas, Doljatra
10. We use a capital letter at the beginning of every line of poetry.
Better than heaven or air Arcadia
I love thee, O my India!
And thy love I shall give
To every brother nation that lives.
11. Use a capital letter for historical events.
a. The First World War
b. Rule of Harshavardhana
c. Indian Rebellion of 1857
12. We use a capital letter for titles of the paragraph, essays, poems, plays, novels, etc.
Essay: Our Motherland
Paragraph: The Cow
Novel: Darkness at Noon
13. We use capital letters in form of address in letters.
My respected Parents
My dear friend
Dear sir, Dear madam